Wednesday, July 18, 2012

My Heart's Desire: The Oliver Manual Typewriter

Salutations, ladies and gents,

It is an early, cool and overcast morn here in the desert, one of those rare moments when the urban sprawl can actually feel a bit lonely, and certainly post-apocalyptic. I am rife with insomnia and I am lovesick, pining over something I do not have.

This:

Source: OzTypewriter


Yes. I am feeling this way over an ancient typewriter. I absolutely adore the old Olivers; they look almost draconic, with their green paint and horn- or wing-like key levers. These are truly a machine for the end of the world.

Now don't misunderstand me; I do currently have a Royal Standard No. 5 with an Underwood Standard No. 3 on the way, so I am not completely typewriter-less. But when compared to the Olivers like the one pictured here, they just aren't the same. I must somehow procure an Oliver. I can just imagine typing on this relic...and loving every moment of it. I am aware that they aren't exactly rare beasts, but that makes no difference to me. They are ancient, their look is wicked, their basic colour is green, and that's plenty enough to turn my gears. This machine is truly my heart's desire.

Suggestions? One for sale or trade? Love or hate the design? Please discuss in the comments below.

Use your words as your weapon,

-Anna Strad.


3 comments:

  1. Yep, that would be the early model Oliver of my dreams as well. So much vintage technology; so little time and space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you are preaching to the choir, brother! And I've just acquired two more typewriters! I told my husband yesterday that the next thing we're looking for at yard sales, et cetera is a set of large, sturdy metal shelves, so these rapidly multiplying typewriters don't eat all the space in our tiny flat. However, I will ALWAYS have enough space for a nice Oliver!

      Delete
  2. I genuinely liked reading through your post! You have a lot of quality material. I might advise you to come up with blog posts even more often. By doing this, having this kind of a worthy website I think you will probably rank higher in the search engines.

    ReplyDelete